Connect with us


Suspect Jonathon Magana dead after three Los Angeles Police Department officers shot in Lincoln Heights

A citywide police tactical alert was activated until the suspect was declared dead.



On Wednesday evening in Lincoln Heights, a parolee at large prompted a response from the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Division after they were notified of the situation in the 3800 block of Broadway at approximately 3:50 p.m.

The parolee reportedly evaded the officers, prompting them to set up a perimeter around the area and summon a helicopter. Later at around 6:45 p.m., the suspect was discovered barricaded inside a shed-like structure approximately two blocks east, near the corner of Broadway and Mission Road.

As officers investigated, they encountered the individual who refused to follow their commands, resulting in a request for K9 officers from the Metropolitan Division, according to LAPD Assistant Chief Al Labrada during a press conference.

Using a robot, officers deployed a chemical agent at the scene, prompting the suspect to leave the shed and open fire at officers, wounding three of them.

The officers are now in stable condition, with one suffering from an arm injury, another with a leg injury, and the third officer having been struck in the stomach.

Following the shootout, an unknown number of officers returned fire, and the three injured male officers were transported to LAC+USC Medical Center for treatment – two via LAPD cruiser and the third by ambulance.

The suspect, identified as Jonathon Magana, a parolee with extortion charges, was reported dead at the scene at around 9:30 p.m. after a two-hour standoff. Gas was again deployed by officers into the area where the suspect was barricaded before SWAT members entered and declared him unresponsive.

Attempts by Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics to treat him were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead. The citywide police tactical alert was activated until the suspect’s death was confirmed.

The wounded officers include two patrol officers and one K9 unit officer from the LAPD’s Metropolitan Division, but fortunately, no dogs were injured.

All three officers were reported to be in stable condition, according to a tweet from LAPD Chief Michel Moore. During Wednesday night’s press conference, Mayor Karen Bass expressed her relief that the officers were stable and able to communicate, commended their service, and pledged the city’s support for their recovery.

As the investigation continued, a significant number of LAPD officers were seen in the area, with many surrounding a residence and aiming their guns at an alleyway behind the home.

A SWAT team arrived on the scene at around 7:30 p.m., using BearCats and robots to surveil the area and search for the suspect. Some neighbors were evacuated from their homes, while others were advised to stay inside and lock their doors while the situation unfolded.