Connect with us


Gerele Jones killed in shooting near Sergeant Bluff

Authorities confirmed that a child was inside the house during the shooting.



The individuals involved in the fatal shooting that occurred near Sgt. Bluff, Iowa on Friday evening have been identified by the Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office.

The suspect, who had an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, has been identified as 43-year-old Raymond Rogers from Sgt. Bluff.

He was airlifted to an Omaha hospital and is still receiving medical treatment. Additionally, the two victims in the shooting have also been identified.

The female victim, who sustained a gunshot wound, was identified as 40-year-old Ashley Rogers, also from Sgt. Bluff, and is currently recovering at a local hospital.

According to authorities, Ashley and Raymond were formerly married. The man who was pronounced dead at the scene has been identified as 50-year-old Gerele Jones from Sgt. Bluff.

Ashley Rogers and Gerele Jones were residing at 2169 Buchanan Avenue in rural Sgt. Bluff, where the incident took place.

Authorities confirmed that a child was inside the house during the shooting.

During a news conference on Sunday, Sheriff Chad Sheehan said that the 12-year-old was Gerele Jones’ child and was one of the individuals who called 911 after the incident. Sheriff Sheehan commended the child for his courage and the information provided by him was critical in getting the police to the scene as quickly as possible.

Sheehan noted that the investigation is still ongoing, and no charges have been filed yet. He also confirmed that Raymond Rogers is the sole suspect in this case, and they are not seeking any other individuals.

Original Story:

An investigation is underway into a shooting that occurred in rural Sgt. Bluff on February 24, 2023.

The incident was reported through 911 calls around 6:47 pm and took place at a residence on Buchanan Ave.

Deputies arrived at the scene to find an injured person on the floor and an 11-year-old boy who was rescued from inside the residence.

Further investigation led to the discovery of two additional victims, a male and a female, both of whom had been shot.

The male suspect was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was taken to Mercy One in Sioux City, then transferred to University Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha in critical condition.

The female victim was also transported to Mercy One in Sioux City in critical condition, while the male victim unfortunately died at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing, and authorities have confirmed that they are not searching for any other suspects.